Wrap your mind around this: today, 55% of the world’s population lives in densely populated urban and suburban areas, a percentage that is expected to increase to 68% with a projected 2.5 billion additional people moving into these areas by 2050.¹ We’ve all been feeling this squeeze for years as we go to work, school, and run errands, but it seemed like it couldn’t get any worse. With this imminent tsunami of humanity coming, how are we going to get around?
Commuting ranks as people’s least favorite regular activity. A quick Google search reveals that commuting can be more stressful than actually working, and the length of one’s commute is directly tied to job satisfaction and overall happiness. How incredibly dark, dystopian, and dismal! Whether you drive, take the bus, ride the train, hail a cab, share a ride, hop on the subway, or just walk uphill both ways in the snow, the world is spending more time and more money getting places than ever before. But, the fact is, the time we spend getting there isn’t good for anybody.
We don’t treat time as valuable, and we should.
Time is one of our most precious resources. Time is money, after all! And yet, we spend a disproportionate amount of our day droning around slowly and numbly from place to place, wasting our time in traffic or waiting for mass transit or rideshare to arrive. It’s also a huge drain on our financial resources as well. Imagine what you could do if you reclaimed your time? Imagine all of those extra dollars back in your pocket.
Here’s what I mean:
- The average American’s commute to work is 25.5 minutes each way. That’s about 51 minutes a day getting to and from work, or 204 hours a year spent commuting.²
- Don’t forget about parking. Each driver in New York spends 107 hours per year searching for a parking spot. That adds up to $2,243 in wasted time, fuel and gas. ³
It isn’t any better when it comes to public transit.
- For public transit riders in the United States, the average commute distance is a mere 5.6 miles (9.1km). In the UK the average transit commute is 4.5 miles (7.4km).
- But the average time spent commuting is 81.2 minutes in the US and 71.6 in the UK.
Or, rideshare and parking.
- The average spend on Lyft and Uber is $22 per ride with reports suggesting that passengers take 4-5 rides per week, tacking on an additional $4,000k a year in costs.
- Each incremental mile you live from work costs $795 in commuting expenses per year and the average daily commute is 16 miles. That’s $12,720 additional dollars spent per year getting to work.
Something profound needs to occur so we can all get our lives, money, health, time and sanity back.
Change came, but it didn’t work.
The dawn of the electric car was hailed with much enthusiasm as a possible answer. However, while electric cars have made the traffic jam cleaner, they’ve offered no improvement to our time spent commuting. An electric car is still a several thousand pound, 15-foot-long vehicle creating congestion just like a gas-powered car.
Rideshare services have streamlined the way we hail cars and made payments seamless, but the reality is, they’ve massively added to our traffic problems. On any given day, up to 100,000 Uber and Lyft cars flood Manhattan Island—and over ⅓ of them are passenger-less in order to be available at all times.
Between electric cars and rideshare, we’re not tackling the real problem.
The next revolution.
Boosted has been making high-performance, lightweight, portable electric vehicles for seven years. We are the pioneer in micro-mobility and it all started with our ubiquitous electric skateboards. We first designed an electric vehicle that was light enough to go anywhere and powerful enough to go everywhere. And, everywhere you went! Over 80% of our Boosted riders commute on their boards already, and they’ve covered tens of millions of miles in over 34 countries around the world while saving time, money, and enjoying the ride.
Now, we’re solving the problem for everyone.
We’re on a mission to reinvent transportation to be fun, fast and simple for everyone. Serving everyone means we need to continue to make the very best electric boards in the world, and offer other vehicle types to serve different people and needs. In one month, we’ll be one step closer to fulfilling that mission with the launch of the Boosted electric scooter.
It will be:
- Instant. From the minute you decide to leave your home, work or school it’s there for you. No hailing, no waiting, no traffic, no parking.
- Your point-to-point solution. We built it to complement other modes of transportation, so you can get off the train at A, and take advantage of its 20-mile-range to get you to B.
- Vehicle-grade. Our emphasis on powerful acceleration, confidence-inspiring braking, stable design, and durability makes it safe and reliable in real traffic.
- Low-maintenance & dependable. It lives up to the quality and long life riders have come to expect from Boosted.
Over time, we believe visionary products like our lightweight electric vehicles will have a profound, long-lasting impact on the way we live our lives and spend our time. They will help reshape our cities and towns to finally be for people, not cars. If we demand that we want things to change, and that we’ll no longer allow ourselves to waste our lives away sitting in traffic, we can start a revolution.
Come join us.
Fast, Fun, Simple Transportation
Boosted is on a mission to make transportation better for everyone. Curious? Come join the ride.